"What did you just say?" you might be thinking, "I'm not a Billboard!"
If that's what your thinking, think again. So, what is a billboard?
I'm sure you can think of someone you look up to! I know that I can!
That person that you look up to is a "Billboard" so to speak.
But what I think we fail to see as Christians is that people are looking up to us, whether we know it or not! So we are "Billboards" to the people who look up to us.
That puts a new look on things, doesn't it? You think that there is no one looking up to you? Once again, Think twice! There is ALWAYS someone looking up to you!
Recently I played at a piano recital. One of my favorite things to do at the piano is come up with songs. So I played a song that I had written. Big deal! I messed up a couple of times, but I didn't think much more about it. Yesterday my mom ran into the mother of one of the little girls that takes piano lessons from the same teacher I do. She was at the recital, also. This girl's mother told my mom that her daughter had been inspired by my song to go home and write a song of her own. I don't even know this girl.
It's funny how things like that work. I wasn't even going to play that song because I couldn't play it very well. But if I hadn't played it, I wouldn't have seen God at work in my life!
Also, there is always Someone looking down on us too. That Someone is God! When you do something you should ask yourself 'Is this something I would want the people that look up to me to do?' and even better 'Is this something God would want me to do?'
Who do we look up to. Well, we should look up to God more than anyone else. But do we? Not always! Sometimes we focus so much on the Billboards that we miss the little road sign, called God's Word, which is telling us which way to go! Our focus needs to be on God more than man!
Have you ever looked at a full moon? It is amazing how it lights up the night with the light from the sun.
As Christians, we should act like the moon. When people look at us they should see God's reflection in our lives. But how often do they? Just something to think about.

Matt,
ReplyDeleteVery thoughtful writing. I am happy to hear how God is using you to encourage others , even when you are unaware of it! I am sure that God is pleased with your thoughts and your writing about Him.