Wednesday, February 29, 2012

McGyverisms: A post about resourcefulness

I am doing a post about resourcefulness to see how well you think on your feet! I will give you three scenarios and a list of things that you have in each one. then you come up with a way you would get out of that scenario using random items of usefulness. then let me know what you came up with by leaving me a comment!

1. You were going on a camping trip and a punk shot a hole in your carburetor. The only problem is that you are a long way from any town or phone.
You have:
  • Duck tape
  • Swiss Army Knife
  • Eggs
  • Foam bed roll
  • A small piece of sheet metal
2.  You are locked in old utility room in an old building that is on fire. The lock on the door is old and accessible from both sides of the door via a keyhole, but still very strong.
You have:
  • Swiss Army Knife
  • A sink that has running water and a drain that can be plugged.
  • Drain cleaner
  • A Co2 Fire extinguisher
  • A nail
3. You are a secret agent trying to sneak important information out of an enemy country. But you were caught and are locked in a room. You have a plan to get out, but the problem with your plan is that your escape route is rather noisy, and the guards in the other room will hear you trying to get away. So you need to make some kind of smoke screen so when the guards come in, they wont be able to see you.
You have:
  • A Swiss Army Knife
  • Ashes in an old wood stove
  • A Co2 fire extinguisher
  • Paper
  • Matches
  • A 5 gallon bucket
Can you get out of these scenarios? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Matt! You come up with some tough questions! I think it would be a case-by-case scenario and where you are, etc. But I will give you my answers.

    1. Duck tape, just duck tape. You can do anything with the stuff.

    2. If possible, I would kick the door open and use the extinguisher to get out. But otherwise I would pick the lock with the knife/nail and get out using the extinguisher. If needed I would turn the sink on and get the floors/walls/door wet to slow down the fire.

    3. Fill the bucket with coals and pour them out out the door or next to it, then put the paper on top and light it. Put a little Co2 on it to make it smoke. Keep the knife for self defense or use it to jam the door.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Ideas!

    Here is what I would do!
    1. I would start the motor to the car and crack the eggs ing to the boiling water in the carburetor so that the eggs boil and clog the holes. Then I would cove that with the sheet metal and ducktape

    2. I would attempt to break down the door. If that did not work, I would dump water in the lock and then spray it with Co2 to freez it (remember water expands when it ferrzes) and that should break the lock open.

    3. I would fill the bucket with ashes then wrap the extinguisher with paper and light it on fire. then I would run becaeus the Co2 will explode and send ask and small peices of metal everywhere.

    ReplyDelete